White Vinegar is great to use, if you want to get rid of hard water stains and make your glasses sparkle. Take a clean glass, and let it soak in warm water with white vinegar (about 1 to 1 ratio) for at least 10 minutes. If the glass has heavy hard water stains, I suggest you let it soak over night. Then dry it with a clean tea towel. I did this to our “Mad Man” glasses, that we found on our first antiquing trip, they looked all cloudy and the silver band had hard water spots. After washing them, I let them soak for about 15 minutes, and dried them. The cloudiness was gone, and the silver bands where nice and shiny!
Besciamella is one of my favorite sauces. The regular recipe consist mostly of dairy products, but I was not about to loose the ability to make it because we have a lactose free diet. So after trying a few different things I was able to come up with a lactose free recipe. As far as I can tell it tastes like the real deal.
- 1/4 Cup Of Organic Vegetable Shortening (unlike Crisco this shortening has only 1 ingredient)
- 1/2 Cup Of Flour
- 1 Cup Of Almond Milk or Lactose Free Milk
- In a medium sauce pan, at medium heat, melt the shortening.
- Add the flour and mix until fully combined
- Pour in the milk and begin stirring until the sauce thickens. I like to use a whisk for stirring, but you can use what ever utensil you prefer.
- Add salt and nutmeg to taste.